This is my daily fear. This is motherhood.
I wrote to my own mom this Mother's Day, saying that I now have a far greater understanding of the simultaneous joy and pain of motherhood than I ever had before. She agreed, stating that being a mom is like wearing your heart on your sleeve, only to have it beaten again and again, never pulling it back.
I cherish these moments with Ella; these moments with her wide, beautiful smile lighting up our apartment. She doesn't know any better and that breaks my heart. She doesn't know yet that she is "different" to other people; she doesn't know yet that some might say she has any reason to think of herself as less than "beeyooteeful," as I tell her every single day because I love the grin that follows. My daughter still possesses that priceless innocence that only young children have.
![]() |
| Going to church this Sunday |
To do so, however, is my role as a mother. Edwin reminds me of this gently, yet consistently. Ella needs me to be calm, reassuring, to deserve her trust always. She needs me to tell her every day for the rest of her life how beautiful she is, even if her trust in me wavers, even if all the world tells her otherwise, even if she's hurting. Even though it will beat my heart a thousand times over, I will always be right next to my little girl to answer her, "Why, mommy?"


Not "why mommy" but "I knew you could do this Mommy". She chose you long ago. Long before you were even born. She chose you as her mother. Out of all mothers in the world, Mothers who have left and indelible imprint of great warriors in the history of humanity, she chose you. Olympias, Mother of Alexander the great. Wu Zetian, China's only Empress. Catherine De Medici. None of these women were good enough for the task she was to face in this life. It had to be you "Elaine Granados"! She was shown the trials and sufferings she would face in this life and I can almost steal a glance through that veil which does not allow us to fully remember. I can almost see her with a huge smile on her perfect face. Full of confidence and faith and bravery as she held on to your hand having chosen you as her mother. Smiling with great courage saying: "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." Fear not what is to come Elaine. What ever it is, know you don't step into darkness alone. This is your task to accomplish in this life. And although your name may never be written in the pages of history, or echo through the vast sound of time, rest assure Ella will know and your friends and family will know and most importantly, Heavenly Father will know. And when you are before him once again after passing this life into the next, how wonderful it will be to hear: "Well done thou good and faithful servant". i would even add great warrior to that phrase. You are special. Specially chosen to have no fear and step into the darkness fully endowed as a true warrior in this time. You have it inside you. The strength, the courage, the right answers. And with your shield, you will protect her from any harm that others may want to impose on her. Go and do and be brave. Remember, not "why" but "I know you could do this for me!" xoxo
ReplyDelete